STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). This funding will go toward educating our staff and purchasing the needed supplies toward implementing this important National initiative.
Robotics. Students will learn to build robots and relate the concepts of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
PA Multi Region STEM Mathematics and Science Partnership Grant
Through the Foundation, the Pottstown School District has been asked to participate in the PA Multi Region STEM Mathematics and Science Partnership Grant. Dr. Myra Forrest will be the on-site administrator for the 2-year STEM Grant. Twenty-five (25) Pottstown teachers will participate. The total value for Pottstown School District over 2 years will be $350,000.
Stem Grant Partners
- College and University Partners in this grant: Immaculata University, University of Pittsburgh, University of Scranton, Lycoming Collge, Albright College, Bucknell University
- NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) is a significant partner
Benefits to the District, educators, and students
- Grant is focused on developing teacher competence with the PA Common Core Standards in Mathematics and Science.
- Teachers will receive 104 hours of professional development at no cost to the District each year.
- Teachers are able to receive 6 graduate credits for a nominal fee in STEM education each year.
- Four courses, or 12 hours, can be applied to a STEM masters program that will be offered in each region, backed by Immaculata University.
- The district will receive the benefit of materials from these partnerships and all curriculum and staff salaries are paid for by the grant.
- The district may host a free Summer of Innovation (Sol) Student Camp for students in grades 4-9 each year.
- The district will be allowed to use a $100,000 Geodome Planetarium with a high-end infrared camera.
- All participants are given a new IPad for use within the grant.